Labour market information (LMI) can help you learn about what types of jobs are available in a given region. It can also provide information on salaries, job prospects and trends.
Service Canada offers a number of tools to help you search job listings, create a resume, choose a career, and assess your skills. Job Bank is an electronic listing of jobs provided by employers from everywhere across Canada.
When looking for LMI about Peterborough, the city is listed under the Muskoka-Kawarthas Region, which includes the census division of the Kawartha Lakes, the counties of Haliburton, Northumberland and Peterborough, and the district municipality of Muskoka.
Job Search Results for Peterborough, ON - Daily updates from the Job Bank site.
Local Labour Market Information
The Workforce Development Board (WDB) is a community-based, not-for-profit corporation that provides labour market information, identifies trends and opportunities and works to develop local area plans that maximize opportunities and address labour market needs for our communities.
The WDB hosts the Labour Market Information, providing a variety of tools and information to facilitate labour market research. The LMI User Guide is a local resource intended to help users become more informed and better skilled at finding and using this type of information.
Local Industries and Fact-sheets
INVEST Peterborough and The Kawarthas has identified the following key economic areas that represent the sectors of the local economy that are expected to grow over the next few years.
- Tourism - Tourism is the leading industry for the area and a significant economic force for the region. The Peterborough region is a unique destination with a special blend of country and city landscapes.
- Aerospace - Peterborough is home to business leaders in the aviation and aerospace supply chains. The aviation industry is expected to double the number of airplanes over the next 15-20 years. The Peterborough Airport now hosts Seneca College's flight training operations - the only program of its kind in Canada. The newly enhanced Peterborough Airport has positioned itself as a place for this sector to grow.
- Advanced Manufacturing - The face of manufacturing has changed in the Peterborough area. High-tech manufacturing from over 55 companies provides a high-value labour pool and employment.
- Cleantech - Peterborough and the Kawarthas have been shaped by three key things: innovative minds, a commitment to sustainability and our connection to water with the Trent-Severn Waterway, and it’s 150+ lakes winding its way through our landscapes. Trent University is home to one of the top source water laboratories in the world and Fleming College runs the Centre for Alternative Wastewater Treatment.
- Agriculture - The Greater Peterborough Area is a region with abundant fresh water, clean air, and rich farmland. The area has one of the oldest and largest Farmers' Markets in Canada and Trent University offers a Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems program. Through companies such as SGS Canada and Unimin, the Peterborough area is also experiencing growth in the mining industry.
- Small Business - Small businesses and entrepreneurs add uniqueness to the fabric of our business communities. Over half of the businesses in Peterborough & the Kawarthas are owner operated, with a wide range of offerings – from finance to food businesses, from manufacturing to the arts, from healthcare to agriculture and everything in between.
INVEST Peterborough and The Kawarthas has lots of data and resources available about the region.
A great way to determine if jobs exist in your profession is to actually search for job postings in your sector. Generally, your job prospects are better if there are many jobs advertised in your sector. In contrast, a scarcity of advertised jobs in your sector may indicate a labour market where it is difficult to find work in your profession.
Ask an Expert
LMI concerning specific professions is often best obtained from someone already working in that particular profession. You can contact an employer from your profession within the Peterborough area and ask them what the current and future labour market is or is expected to be for that field.
In 2013 the New Canadians Centre conducted a series of interviews asking local industry leaders questions about the labour market in Peterborough, Ontario. These videos can be viewed here.
Use the following business directories to learn about different business fields in the Peterborough area:
Have a Question?
Contact the local LMI Help Desk.