Home > Settling > Who can help me in the first days?

Who can help me in the first days?

The City of Peterborough has various agencies which serve newcomers, immigrants and refugees. They can assist with your settlement.

New Canadians Centre (NCC)

The NCC is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to supporting immigrants, refugees and other newcomers in the Peterborough area. Easing their process of adjusting to a new life in Canada.

They provide a variety of services to newcomers:

  • immigration assistance
  • Settlement help
  • Help with accessing services
  • Learning or improving your English
  • Employment counselling and more

The NCC hosts many classes and workshops. Take advantage of them to improve your computer skills, prepare for your Canadian Citizenship test or learn a new language.

At the NCC, you can also get the Peterborough Welcome Pass. It provides free or discounted admission to many cultural, artistic and recreational programs. It is available to anyone who is new to Peterborough and has gone through the immigration process.

Peterborough Immigration Partnership (PIP)

The PIP exists to promote and support immigrant integration in the Peterborough community.

Casa Maria Refugee Homes

Casa Maria is a non-profit organization that offers safe temporary shelter to refugees. Their support is regardless of race, social status, religion or cultural tradition. Casa Maria Homes are owned and operated by the Sisters of St Joseph of Peterborough, Ontario, a registered Canadian charity.

Their three homes are located near the downtown core, where families have easy access to shopping, local schools, churches and transportation. They have welcomed families from over 35 countries.

Aside from providing shelter to refugees, Casa Maria also helps them with the claims application process, making medical appointments for new families, accessing community support services, enrolling children in local schools, encouraging and seeking opportunities for English language instruction and seeking professional counselling as required.

Trent International Program (TIP)

TIP has a strong and proud history of commitment to internationalizing undergraduate education. It has been a leader in Canada in providing personalized support to international students. TIP offers an exciting opportunity for students from many countries to live and study together in a truly global community. They provide service, support, information and a sense of home to many international students.

Fleming College International Student Services

Fleming College International Education office assists international students with orientation, immigration, housing, academic, medical and banking requirements.