Home > Learning > College and University

College and University

Post-secondary education refers to study and training after high school. This type of education takes place at Colleges and Universities and is the responsibility of the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.

Peterborough is fortunate to have two post-secondary institutions, Trent University and Fleming College.

How to Choose a School

There are online resources to help you choose a college or university. You may also wish to contact the institutions directly to ask questions.

Applying for College or University

Canadian residents should apply through the Ontario Colleges Application Service or Ontario Universities Application Centre. International student application processes vary by institution; contact their Admissions Office to learn more.

Paying for Your Education

Post-Secondary education at public institutions in Ontario is subsidized by the government but students are also required to pay tuition and other fees. Financial support is available. Here are some resources:

Ontario Student Assistance Program: grants and loans

Trent University and Fleming College Financial Aid Offices: loans, scholarships and bursaries

Second Career: financial support for laid-off workers and those on employment benefits

Newyouth.ca: an online community for newcomer youth

International Students

Both Trent University and Fleming College welcome international students and offer English language programs as well. Learn more about these on this website in the International Students section.