How do I apply to immigrate to Canada?  Who can help me with the immigration process?

To learn how to immigrate to Canada you can read the guides at Ontario ImmigrationSettlement.orgCitizenship and Immigration Canada and Going to Canada.

You can hire an immigration consultant or a lawyer to help you with the immigration process.  This is not a requirement within the immigration process but it can be helpful.  You can find more information on hiring a professional immigration consultant or lawyer at Settlement.org.  Please refer to CICC, the College of Immigration and Citizenship to find licensed immigration consultants in the Peterborough area.

What do new immigrants need to do after arriving in Canada? Are there more forms I need to fill out?

As a new immigrant who has recently landed in Canada, you will need:

For other important things to do after arriving in Canada, refer to the checklists in the Settling section of this website or contact the New Canadians Centre Peterborough, a local organization whose mandate is to help immigrants and refugees and who can assist you with all aspects of the settlement process.

What is the difference between permanent residents in Canada and Canadian citizens?

Permanent residents are immigrants or refugees who have been granted the right to live permanently in Canada. They have more rights and privileges than visitors, but less than citizens. More information can be found in this site’s Settling section, or at Settlement.Org.

How do I apply to become a Canadian citizen?

Please see How do I become a Canadian citizen? for helpful information and links. More information can be found on the Citizenship and immigration Canada website. You can also contact the New Canadians Centre Peterborough for assistance.

After I am granted permanent residence, can I return to my original place of residence?

You may return to your original place of residence, but there are residency requirements you must follow to keep your permanent resident status. Please see the “what are the residency requirements for permanent residents?” article on Settlement.Org.


I have a question, but I don’t know anybody in Peterborough. Who can I inquire from?

The staff at the New Canadians Centre (NCC) will be happy to help you. They are a local organization that has been providing service to newcomers and immigrants since 1979.  They can provide advice on anything you may need as a new resident of Peterborough.  NCC has several programs that can help you settle into the community.

You can also use the 211 services offered by the United Way. A telephone operator can refer you to community and social groups, health services, or government services in the community. This service is provided free of charge, 24 hours a day, in approximately 150 languages. To use the service, dial 211 from any telephone in the area.

What are some helpful telephone numbers?

211 – An operator can refer you to Peterborough’s community, social, health or government services. Interpreters are available in over 150 languages, 24 hours per day. This is a free service. Learn more about this service.

411 – An operator will look up a telephone number for you. There is usually a small fee for using this service. The cost will be added to your telephone bill. You can look up telephone numbers online free of charge at www.canada411.ca.

911 – In an emergency, an operator will connect you to the police, fire department, or ambulance. For more information, see the What do I do in an emergency? section of this website.

How do I find maps of Peterborough?

A map of Peterborough can be found hereMaps of transit routesbikeways and walking trailswaste management information and collection schedules are also available. You can find some other useful maps on the City of Peterborough website.

Where can I find computers with free internet access in Peterborough?

The Peterborough Public Library offers public computers with free internet access.

Where can I shop in Peterborough?

The Food & Shopping section of this site can help you find places to shop. You may also look for businesses in the Yellow Pages.

Where is the library in Peterborough?

The Peterborough Public Library is located in downtown Peterborough, and there is a library kiosk at the Peterborough Sport and Wellness Centre.


Where will I stay when I first arrive in Peterborough?

There are several options for short-term accommodations in Peterborough, including hotels, bed and breakfasts (B & B), and rental rooms. More information on these types of accommodations, along with information on renting or buying an apartment or a house can be found in the Housing section. It is advisable to make a reservation for short-term accommodations prior to your arrival in Peterborough.

How do I find out about my rights as a tenant?

You can find out about your rights as a tenant in the Housing section of this website or at Settlement.Org.


What documents do I need in order to be able to work in Canada?

Everyone who works in Canada needs a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) issued by the Federal Government.  For more information on how to get a Social Insurance Number, please refer to the Service Canada website.  Visitors, students and refugee claimants need a temporary work permit in order to work in Canada.  For more information on temporary work permits, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. The New Canadians Centre Peterborough can assist you with obtaining a SIN and temporary work permits.

How do I find a job in Peterborough?

This website has links to several local job search websites. These include:

Peterborough has employment agencies that can help you with your job search. 
EPC -Employment Planning and Counselling Peterborough
Fleming Crew Employment Centre
CERP – Peterborough Community Employment Resource Partnership
Global Human Resource Centre
The Staffing Connection
People Ready
Level A
In addition, the New Canadians Centre also provides employment services.
For additional information on finding a job please visit the employment section of this website.

What jobs and professions are in demand in Peterborough?

For information on what types of jobs are available please refer to the employment section of this website.

Where can I get information on starting a business in Peterborough?

The business section of this website contains information on resources available to start a business, such as small business support, financing information, and information on laws and regulations.

How can I get my education and professional credentials assessed?

Please visit the Getting Credentials Recognized section of this website for detailed information on the several resources available to help you get your credentials evaluated and recognized.

What are my rights as an employee?

Your rights as an employee are outlined under the Employment Standards Act guide produced by the Ministry of Labour. The Employment Standards Act sets minimum standards for things like pay, hours and time off. Most workplaces in Ontario must follow this law and your rights are the same whether you are employed full-time or part-time.


How soon, after landing in Canada, can I use OHIP? Is it necessary to buy my own temporary health insurance?

There is a three-month waiting period before you can use government health insurance (OHIP). At this time it is suggested that you buy your own temporary health insurance. For more information on this please refer to the Health section of this website.

Can my children get OHIP coverage immediately after landing?

Babies born in Canada are exempt from the three-month waiting period. Adults and all other children must complete the five-month waiting period before OHIP coverage can begin. If you are a refugee, refugee claimant or protected person, you can apply for interim federal health benefits during this time. Information about these benefits can be obtained at Settlement.org or through Service Canada. For more information please see the Health section of this website.

How do I find medical care in Peterborough?

Read the Health section of this website to learn about finding a doctor in Peterboroughwhat to do in an emergency and other important health topics.


What if I need help learning English?

There are many options for improving your English in Peterborough. The Learning English section explains each of these options, including:

I want to find a school for my children. Where can I find the information?

The school that your child will attend depends on where you live in Peterborough. For more information, see the Education section of this website.

I want to go to university. Can I get student loans?

This depends on the college or university you choose to attend. More information is available from the Education sectionOntarioColleges.ca and the Ontario Universities Application Centre.


I have a driver’s license from my home country. Can I drive cars in Canada?

You can use a license from your home country for 60 days. After 60 days you will need an Ontario driver’s license. For more information on this please refer to the Transportation section.

What modes of transportation are available in Peterborough?

You can travel within the city of Peterborough using the local bus service.  For information on routes, schedules and ticket costs please visit the Peterborough Transit website.  For additional transportation options, including methods of transportation between cities and towns in Ontario, please visit the transportation section of this website.

What can be used as ID (forms of identification) in Canada?

There are many different types of IDs used in Canada. What type you need depends on the organization you are dealing with. A good general list is included in Settlement.org’s “How do I open a bank account?” article.

I have children, what benefits can I apply for? How do I apply for these benefits?

The Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) helps with the cost of raising children. There may be other benefits depending on your situation. For more information on how to apply for the CCTB and other benefits, please see the Finance section.